Friday, February 9, 2007

Wet Socks - a must have hydrotherapy treatment

This sounds much more difficult to implement than it actually is. Most people worry about sleep quality, but then report that their sleep actually improves with the wet socks. It is an old folk remedy, tested and true. It is great for colds, sinus infections, sore throats, ear infections, coughs, and much more. I have personally used it to support healing in the legs after a sprained ankle. I know first hand how effective the treatment can be for infections and when sick, I am often discouraged that I did not put the wet socks on a day earlier and potentially avoid the later symptoms of the infection. It is great for kids. Surprisingly, they typically don't complain about having cold wet socks put on their feet.

Supplies:
1 pair white cotton socks
1 pair thick wool socks - as close to 100% wool as you have


Directions:
1. Wet cotton socks and soak them completely with cold water. Be sure to wring the socks out thoroughly so they do not drip. If you desire, place wet socks in the freezer for 3 to 5 minutes (do not freeze if using this treatment on children).
2. While cotton socks are chilling, warm your feet. This is very important to increase the efficacy of the treatment. Warming can be accomplished by soaking your feet in warm water for at least 5-10 minutes, massaging the feet vigorously, using a heating pad, etc.
3. Dry the feet off completely.
4. Place cold wet socks on feet. Cover with thick wool socks. Go directly to bed. Avoid getting chilled.
5. Keep the socks on overnight. The cotton socks should be dry in the morning.

This treatment works by forcing an increase in circulation down through the legs at night to dry the socks from the inside. The increased circulation supports drainage in the sinuses and throat at night while you sleep. Typically during the night our circulation throughout the body is very stagnant. Wet socks changes that normal dynamic. It works. Try it sooner than later.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must admit I was skeptical about this treatment. My sister told me about it and I sort of put it in the back of my mind. Well, last night I woke up in the middle of the night with a sore throat. Dreading the thought of getting sick, I thought, what the heck, Im going to give it a try. To my amazement, within a couple of hours my thoat felt better. I slept better too! I am thankful for this information. Barb

Anonymous said...

Magic socks is my favorite treatment and it is so easy! I am glad you are spreading the word about hydrotherapy.